L’Association des Américains accidentels is currently fundraising to finance public relations and lobbying actions in the United States to support their planned lawsuit against Citizenship Based Taxation.
You can lend your support at GoFundMe.
The Association, founded in 2017 and led by Fabien Lehagre and a five member board, has been very active and their work to date has resulted in:
- Convincing the European Union to address the issue of accidental Americans with the United States
- Adoption of a resolution in the European Parliament
- Obtaining acceptance from the State Department to reduce the amount of fees to renounce American nationality : from $2350 to $450
- Obtaining the support of the French Parliament: parliamentary report, amendment, adopted resolution.
- Assisting lawyer Stuart Horwich in obtaining recognition from the IRS that CSG/CRDS are considered as French taxes and therefore deductible from American taxes
and they have initiated lawsuits on several fronts:
- Against the State Department to denounce the unconstitutionality 1/ of the fees charged during the renunciation procedure 2/ of the closures of American embassies and the waiting lists to renounce U.S. citizenship;
- Against French online banks that discriminate against U.S. Persons
- To denounce the illegality of FATCA under the General Data Protection Regulation (EU GDPR) in the following countries: France, Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg;
Read more about l’Association des Americains accidentels on their website (pages on the site are in English as well as French (scroll down for the English); and at Forbes Magazine Time Magazine Links to More Media Articles on this page.
Thank you for relaying this initiative.