Some will remember strong-minded fiercely Canadian Lynne Swanson, who was there before the beginning helping to make our marathon Canadian FATCA IGA lawsuit happen.
Here, published on December 18, 2012 in Maple Sandbox, are Lynne’s pick of her reasons why Canada should not pass the FATCA enabling legislation:
“There are a multitude of reasons why Canada must reject FATCA.
Here are just 12 of them:
1. FATCA violates Canadian privacy, banking and human rights laws and Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
2. Canadian laws are made in Ottawa, not in Washington
3. FATCA treats Canadian citizens born in US and their Canadian-born children as second class citizens in Canada.
4. FATCA threatens Canadian sovereignty and autonomy.
5. FATCA threatens retirement, education and disability savings of Canadian citizens and residents.
6. FATCA places huge costs on Canadian financial institutions.
7. FATCA takes money out of Canadian economy and tax base.
8. Canada has a 70 year effective tax treaty with US to combat tax evasion.
9. Canada does not negotiate with financial terrorists.
10. Canada is not a tax haven.
11. Canada should show leadership to the world in standing up to IRS bullies.
12. FATCA is just plain wrong.
Canada, Just Say No!”
The sad reality was that even though Lynne was right on every point made, the Canadian court challenge was held in a CANADIAN court. I clearly knew the outcome of the court challenge long before it went before a CANADIAN judge. The time spent going over the case was time spent looking for believable reasons to rule against the victims of the US tax overreach. It is very true that there are two classes of Canadians. This is something we always thought to be true and now know to be true. It is also very clear that Canada is run by Washington. If you think otherwise, you are pacifying yourself and really need to get out more often. The USA has no morals anymore and the status of the USA is very bad at this point. The country seems to be imploding by itself due to it’s own issues. Stealing from Canadian citizens is like taking candy from a baby. I feel for the American people and hope they can find peace in the future. Over 90% of Americans have no idea how sinister their government is towards other countries. They only know what the news tells them. Pity, but for Canadians and for Canada, US rule will not change. As for Lynne, she is an angel.
Actually there are three classes of Canadian:
1. Those who do not have US citizenship (or US person status) and need not concern themselves with the US government.
2. Those who do have US citizenship (or US person status) and who face an expensive living nightmare of IRS tax and reporting requirements.
3. Those who do have US citizenship (or US person status) but who don’t provide this information to banks and don’t play pen pal with the IRS. Their lives are no different than the first group.
Possibly a 4th class? That would be a born in Canada Canadian married to either #2 or #3 who has had their citizenship overruled by the US at the hands of the Canadian government.
They would be a Canadian that was born in Canada who is now a US taxpayer through marriage. In other words, their citizenship was overruled from Canadian to American as a taxpayer. Canada threw them under the bus as well…
Anyone in that situation threw themselves under the bus. Or their US spouse did, more likely.
@ RH “Their lives are no different than the first group.”
It is in my case.
If Ottawa can refute the Huawei CFO arrest order from the FBI, one may interpret it as a sign that it is developing the gumption to break away from its subordinated position to the USA. There are so many meaningful reasons why Ottawa should disengage and let the CFO go. This ongoing case has brought obvious suffering for Canada economically or politically. FATCA from the USA has caused much suffering for many Canadians too but unfortunately this suffering is not as obvious as that arising from the Huawei conflict.
Most likely ,this wont happen. Most likely, Biden will wave his magic wand and pufff,the Lady will will gone,leaving Canada in the dust .
The more Canada barks at China ,the more Canada becomes economically dependent on the US ,as 90% dependency isn’t enough.
Chuckle of the day courtesy of Aaron Wherry of CBC News :
” One characteristic of the prime minister’s personality is said to be a certain fearlessness. Not in the heroic or courageous sense, but in the sense of not realizing what one should be afraid of. (He is also said to be most prone to making mistakes when he is riding highest, as he was before the WE affair sent Liberal support tumbling.)”
One can find other words more appropriate than fearlessness.