(This post requested by JC.)
By law, the National Taxpayer Advocate must submit two reports to Congress each year.
National Taxpayer Advocate’s Objectives Report
The first report (Objectives Report), delivered each June, contains the goals and activities planned by the Taxpayer Advocate for the coming year.
National Taxpayer Advocate’s Reports to Congress
The second report (Annual Report), delivered at the end of December, includes: A summary of the 20 most serious problems encountered by taxpayers; recommendations for solving those problems; and other IRS efforts to improve customer service and reduce taxpayer burden.
- PREFACE: National Taxpayer Advocate’s Introductory Remarks
- REVIEW OF THE 2015 FILING SEASON
- AREAS OF FOCUS
- The IRS Should Provide Victims of Identity Theft with a True Single Point of Contact to Help Them Resolve Their Account Problems and Obtain Their Refunds
- The IRS Agrees It Should Issue Refunds to Victims of Return Preparer Fraud, But It Has Been Slow to Develop Necessary Procedures
- The IRS’s Administration of the Affordable Care Act Has Gone Well Overall, But Some Glitches Have Arisen
- The IRS’s Implementation of FATCA Has in Some Cases Imposed Unnecessary Burdens and Failed to Protect the Rights of Affected Taxpayers
- IRS Procedures for Levies on Retirement Plan Assets Create Financial Harm and Undermine Taxpayer Rights
- As the IRS Migrates to More Self-Service Tools and Online Services, Low Income and Other Vulnerable Taxpayer Populations May Face Greater Compliance Challenges
- Additional Requirements for Appeals Access and Compressed Case Timelines Impair the Fundamental Rights of Taxpayers
- The IRS Approves Many Applications for Tax-Exempt Status Almost Automatically, Often Based on Insufficient Information
- International Local Taxpayer Advocates Would Provide Valuable Assistance to Taxpayers and Protect Their Rights
- TAS Continues to Work with the IRS to Implement the Taxpayer Bill of Rights into IRS Operations
- The IRS Must Have a Comprehensive Review Process for Guidance and Other Documents to Protect Taxpayer Rights, Improve Customer Service, and Operate More Efficiently
- EFFORTS TO IMPROVE TAS ADVOCACY AND SERVICE TO TAXPAYERS
- TAS RESEARCH INITIATIVES
- TAS TECHNOLOGY