Some will remember strong-minded fiercely Canadian Lynne Swanson, who was there before the beginning helping to make our marathon Canadian FATCA IGA lawsuit happen.
Here, published on December 18, 2012 in Maple Sandbox, are Lynne’s pick of her reasons why Canada should not pass the FATCA enabling legislation:
“There are a multitude of reasons why Canada must reject FATCA.
Here are just 12 of them:
1. FATCA violates Canadian privacy, banking and human rights laws and Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
2. Canadian laws are made in Ottawa, not in Washington
3. FATCA treats Canadian citizens born in US and their Canadian-born children as second class citizens in Canada.
4. FATCA threatens Canadian sovereignty and autonomy.
5. FATCA threatens retirement, education and disability savings of Canadian citizens and residents.
6. FATCA places huge costs on Canadian financial institutions.
7. FATCA takes money out of Canadian economy and tax base.
8. Canada has a 70 year effective tax treaty with US to combat tax evasion.
9. Canada does not negotiate with financial terrorists.
10. Canada is not a tax haven.
11. Canada should show leadership to the world in standing up to IRS bullies.
12. FATCA is just plain wrong.
Canada, Just Say No!”