Updated with the following additional paragraph June 4/12
I have been following the comments to this thread with great interest. I believe that this Obama social media initiative is a great opportunity for us. This post needs to be linked to the “Just Me” post of April 22/12 where he talks about the stupid form letter that somebody received after writing Obama about OVDI. I reference the following helpful comment from Steven where he says:
I have a slightly different view and perhaps an idea worth pursuing.
The fact that the White House responded at all gives the IBS an opportunity to use the response as a vehicle to further publicize the issues facing expats and the inequity of citizenship based taxation in general. You now have a letter from the President dated April 18, 2012. It is in effect, and invitation to dialogue with him. What if the IBS board were to respond to the WH as follows:
“Dear Mr. President:
Thank you for your letter of April 18, and to respectfully suggest that you that your letter was not at all responsive to Mr. XXX’s letter to you of [date] in which he detailed for you, a glaring inequity affecting seven million voting Americans living abroad who find themselves potential victims of the unintended consequences of a law you approved regarding their tax obligations……
[explain the problem]
[don't make the IRS the issue]
[offer a solution]
[dont disrespect him or the Office]
Perhaps a closing with the suggestion that it would be nice to hear in his acceptance speech for the nomination of his party at the DNC convention in Charlotte, N.C. in September, one sentence in which he acknowledges the problem and pledges to do something about it if he is elected again in November.
It might also be a good idea to send a copy of the letter to:
Cong. Carol Maloney
Senators Levin, Baucus and a few others.
Mr. Romney and some other top Republicans
Selected Canadian officials.
This the way the game is played in Washington. If he doesn’t respond in a few weeks you can write to him again and cc everyone again to let the world know that you are not going to go away and the problem is going to keep getting worse if it is not addressed.
Once again, I see the americansabroadforobama.org (plus twitter and facebook add ons) as a fantastic opportunity to engage Obama and the Democrats. The very existence of americansabroadfromobama.org suggests to me that the Democrats really do NOT understand how they have destroyed the lives of U.S. citizens abroad. If they really understood the problems they have created, I don’t believe that they would have launched this site.
Because they have opened the door to a public discussion, we need to see this as an opportunity to educate them. Furthermore, I believe that we should use this as an opportunity to reach out to Romney and Ron Paul. The americansabroadforobama.org is the best chance yet to open a dialogue.
We need to work on how to do this in an intelligent way. Complaint without more will not do it. We are crediting Obama and his mindless disciples with far too much intelligence and understanding.
What follows is the original post.
Note: This post by discussing political advertising is really political advertising. As such it may be inappropriate for a “non-partisan” group like the Isaac Brock Society. Nevertheless, it does seem to me that Obama is responsible for many of our current difficulties.
Great news! President Obama has finally opened a dialogue with U.S. citizens abroad!
I recently came across the following Social Media campaign at the hub of:
It links to both Twitter and Facebook as follows:
The clear intent of this campaign is create the appearance of a strong and vibrant contingent of U.S. citizens abroad who support Barack Obama. For example the main site includes the following information:
Welcome to Americans Abroad for Obama!
Right now, Americans from across the globe are stepping up to help President Obama get re-elected. Join our team and be a part of the movement to finish what we started in 2008!
Americans Abroad is the international regional program of the Obama Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee of Obama for America 2012 and the Democratic National Committee.
Americans Abroad for Obama is an international program for U.S. citizens living abroad committed to providing significant financial support for the re-election of President Obama in November.
We raise funds through events abroad, innovative initiatives and programs across the globe. We are currently working to build cohesive teams in a number of countries identified as having high numbers of influential and dedicated Americans living and working abroad. Ideally, the work will result in a highly researched and refined international network of financial supporters.
For more information on the campaign, please visit http://www.barackobama.com/
If one takes the time to read the site, one will see that:
“Americans Abroad is the international regional program of the Obama Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee of Obama for America 2012 and the Democratic National Committee.”
The fact that the Obama campaign is behind this site is NOT clear from either the Facebook or Twitter sites. For example:
“International grassroots movement passionate about keeping President Obama in office. Follow us for live updates of the
#Obama2012 Find out how you can help at http://americansabroadforobama.org/
AAO is an international program for U.S. citizens living abroad committed to providing significant financial support for the re-election of President Obama in November.MissionAmericans Abroad for Obama is aiming to reach out to a new supporter base that has been historically untapped.DescriptionThis innovative effort aims to enfranchise millions of American expatriates (citizens and Green Card holders alike), whose voices are often unheard in American politics.We raise funds through events both within the U.S. and abroad, innovative initiatives and programs across the globe. We are currently working to build cohesive teams in a number of countries identified as having high numbers of influential and dedicated Americans living and working abroad. Ideally, the work will result in a highly researched and refined international network.
1. Americansabroadforobama.org was registered on April 4, 2012 by Deirdre Hannigan of plusthree.com. Plusthree.com claims to be a group that runs political advertising campaigns, that appear to specialize in social media. They claim that their clients include a “whos who” list of democrats including:
- ActionAid USA
- AIDS Taskforce of Greater Cleveland
- Arizona Democratic Party
- Authentic Israel
- Be My Voice Hawai‘i
- B’nai B’rith Youth Organization (BBYO)
- BBYO’s Passport to the World
- Bob Menendez for Senate 2006
- California Organization of Police and Sheriffs (COPS)
- California Pacific Medical Center
- California State Conference of the NAACP
- Center for Promise and Opportunity
- Charlotte In 2012 Host Committee
- The Children’s Movement of Florida
- CIVIC Concern
- Civil Justice Association of California (CJAC)
- Corporation for Enterprise Development (CFED)
- Council for a Livable World (CLW)
- Dancer Universe
- D&P Creative Strategies
- Data Warehouse
- David Sanchez Badillo Foundation
- Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee (DCCC)
- Democratic National Committee (DNC)
- Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC)
- Dwight Evans for Mayor
- EMILY’s List
- Environmental Justice and Climate Change Initiative
- Equality NC
- Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL)
- Good Beginnings Alliance
- Greater Miami Jewish Federation
- Green Spaces Alliance of South Texas
- Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility (HACR)
- Hispanic Technology and Telecommunications Partnership (HTTP)
- i.am angel foundation
- Immigration Equality Action Fund
- Informed Families
- Israel Forever Foundation
- Israel Pathways
- Jack Davis for Congress
- Jewish Federation of Metro Detroit
- Jewish Federation of Palm Beach
- Joe Mesi for State Senate
- John Dougherty for State Senate
- John Edwards for President
- Latino Inaugural Gala 2009
- LatinoJustice PRLDEF
- Leadership for Educational Equity
- League of United Latin American Citizens
- Liberty Power
- Los Angeles Police Protective League
- Mervyn Dymally for California State Assembly 2006
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- National Immigration Law Center
- National Latino Coalition on Climate Change
- National Museum of the American Latino Commission
- New America Media
- New York State Democratic Senate Campaign Committee
- No Limits Foundation
- North Carolina League of Conservation Voters
- The Ohio Democratic Party
- One America Committee
- The Pap Corps
- People for the American Way
- Raise Texas
- Bill Richardson for Governor
- Rock & Republic
- SFO Media
- Sierra Club
- Sixth and I
- The FuturePAC
- Tom Suozzi for Governor
- Tuition Relief Now!
- United Federation of Teachers (UFT)
- Women Building For The Future
- Yes On Gay Marriage
- ZERO Cancer
2. Facebook – The page indicates that it was founded on April 9, 2012. Yet it boasts 1450 “likes”. This is extremely un”like”ly. Sorry way too many. Unless a U.S. citizen abroad has been living “under a rock” for the last year, they won’t be voting for Obama. I suspect that these “likes” have been purchased from a “like farm”.
3. Twitter – The first tweet was on April 10, 2012
— AmericansAbroadObama (@AAforObama) April 10, 2012
What Is The Purpose Of This Post?
It is my considered opinion that the Obama campaign has created a social media campaign designed for the sole purpose of making it appear that Obama has strong support from Americans abroad. This is a ridiculous claim. After the damage he has inflicted on U.S. citizens abroad, I don’t believe that even a member of “Democrats Abroad” would really vote for him.
But hey, Obama has now opened a dialogue with Americans Abroad. U.S. citizens abroad should seize this opportunity to begin the dialogue and expose his lies for what they are. Obama certainly has not kept his word to U.S. citizens abroad. Remember those promises Senator Obama made on the campaign trail?
A reminder …
Here is what is said on the Facebook page:
This innovative effort aims to enfranchise millions of American expatriates (citizens and Green Card holders alike), whose voices are often unheard in American politics.
Since, Obama has opened the dialogue with U.S. citizens abroad, we cannot disappoint him!
Remember the line in the movie “Dead Poets’ Society”:
Seize the day!! That’s a great idea.
You, “Wont’ Get Fooled Again!”