Peter Dunn, blogger, Canadian citizen, Petros, former US citizen
Peter Dunn, Pete the Planner
I’ve been called a number of things: but this is the first time I’ve been called “the other Peter Dunn”. I think that is just about the most hurtful thing of all.
Today, a certain Peter Dunn, a famous media figure who is both a comedian and financial adviser (isn’t that tautology?), wrote at his blog, A minor PR disaster for Pete the Planner (emphasis mine; hat tip Pacifica):
Things were going so great…until I was mistaken for another Peter Dunn.
While I try to help people take responsibility for their financial lives, the other Peter Dunn encourages people to leave the United States in order to avoid paying taxes. This mistake was originally brought to my attention by a Twitter follower, but then I noticed the increased web traffic on my website today. People have been Googling “Peter Dunn don’t pay taxes” all day. Ugh.
So for the record. I pay taxes. You should pay taxes, and the other Peter Dunn needs to stay out of the news. The world doesn’t need two Peter Dunns.
****Update: To be fair, I don’t know the ins and outs of the “other Peter Dunn’s” perspective. I’m not trying to insult him or his cause. I just wanted people to make sure they understood that we weren’t one in the same.
As far as I’m concerned, I am Peter Dunn, and he is the other Peter Dunn. Here my reasons:
- I am older; so I have the prior claim to being Peter Dunn Prime.
- Being older, wiser and more experienced, I would not suddenly panic if people confused me with another Peter Dunn, seeing as it is a pretty common name.
- Age before beauty. I am not sufficiently photogenic to be on TV. (That’s why my gravatar is Tertia kitty, covering my face!)
- I am Canadian.
- William Shatner, Michael J. Fox, and Steve Nash are also Canadians.
- Canada is bigger than the United States.
- I grew up in Alaska, which is much larger and colder than any state that Pete the Planner ever lived in.
- I never use three dots … when I write.
- Last but not least: my website has a better Alexa ranking.